How to File a Flood Insurance Claim – Helpful Guide

Getting yourself and your big investments an insurance plan is a must. There’s no telling what could happen in a few year’s time, or even in a few days. A good insurance plan, for instance, will help you repair any flood and water damage to your home without you having to spend too much, or even at all.

The devil is in the details, however. Not all insurance plans are the same. The type of damages the insurance company will cover as well as the maximum amount of coverage will depend on the policy you get. When it comes to filing claims, the details of their plan tend to confuse and frustrate homeowners.

Help is Easy to Find

No matter how much care you put into maintaining your house, certain things are still beyond your control. For example, a pipe bursting and causing severe flood damage within your home is hardly your fault, and that is the purpose of your insurance plan.

Not everyone likes filing home insurance claims, but there are steps to take to make it a little easier for those who need the money.

1. Call your insurance provider immediately. Ask him the important questions, such as whether the damages will be covered and to what extent. Check your contract and go over the details with him/her. The fine print can be a little tricky to understand.
2. Next, make a detailed list of everything that was damaged. Secure the property and keep people away. If anyone got injured or caused additional damage, those may not be covered by the policy.
3. Fill out all the necessary paperwork as soon as possible. There may be a time limit in which you can file a claim. It’s best to get it done as quickly as you can or as soon as you leave the house.
4. Hire a public insurance adjuster. Most insurance companies send their insurance adjusters to check on your property. There are adjusters, however, who prioritize the insurance company before you. If you hire an adjuster outside of the company, their services will be to your benefit.

Hire Someone You Can Trust

The extent of your coverage will depend on the insurance plan you purchased for your house. Public insurance adjusters should work for you, not the insurance company. They are your best bet in claiming the amount you are entitled to.

They are also able to help you with the paperwork you will need to file a claim. Doing it on your own may be overwhelming, especially after experiencing something as traumatic as your house damaged by flood or a hurricane.

Public adjusters focus on ensuring the insurance company will pay you, making sure you’ve already filed a legitimate claim. These experts do not work for insurance companies; they work for you. They assist clients with filling out complex forms, as well as helping you file the proper paperwork. Their job is to make sure clients will not commit mistakes that lead them to not receiving any money from the claim.

There are just too many things involved in filing your claim that one missed document could mean less pay from your insurance company. Your public insurance adjuster will help you understand the details of your insurance policy if your insurance agent cannot.

Records Will Save You

As an insurance holder, one way to hold your insurers responsible is keeping records. Save every bit of signed paperwork, and keep transaction records (receipts, invoices, etc.) This way, you can make a file as soon as possible. Time is of the essence in water or flood damage, so make sure your records are on hand.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *